Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Horses: my summer adventures

There's something about posting on Facebook and instagram that I don't like... but yet I enjoy sharing or writing about what I'm interested in or excited about. When I started this blog I was absorbed with nursing school. Then it became a bit of a travelog (as I'm sure it will again). Currently I'm into horses (not that I ever WASN'T into horses...).
  As of this winter I had 3 horses. My 20 years old (Omni), 13 year old (Chevy), and my yearling andalusian (Lleida). About a month ago I decided to sell the lovely Chevy because I thought I should be responsible and not have 3 horses just for me. So with much hesitation I sent him off to his new home. He is definitely missed and I enjoyed many, many good times with that horse. His new owner contacts me often to tell me how much she is enjoying him. That makes me feel better. 
 
    

Just a few days after saying goodbye to my Chevy boy I had to say goodbye to my old friend Omni. We were out on a trail ride and he took a wrong step and severed some tendons (among other things) in his ankle. The vet gave him a poor prognosis and so I had him put down in the operating room. I cried like a baby. My sweet, quirky horse who I had started riding when I was just 12 and he was 3. He was by far the most challenging horse I have ever started under saddle and had more energy and stamina than any horse I've ever been on! I miss my friend and I'm grateful for my fellow horse loving people who took care of me while I was a mess:)
Omni boy on our last ride together
 
  
That ever alert face:)
  
 
    

I've been feeling a little listless when I go out to see the horses and my pasture feels empty without the boys I've had for so long. 
I decided that I didn't want bad experiences to scare me away from horses this year. Horses are such a part of my life and I have trips planned this summer involving them. So what to do?

I brought my moms horse (Sylvie) to be a riding horse this summer. My mom needed me to take her anyway to put some miles on her since she's still pretty green. Sylvie is a beautiful horse and is actually pretty fun to ride. She has some quirks to work on though, including being very head shy, especially with bridling. She is also rather easy to startle, which caused her to get away from me out in the woods once when I touched her tummy when she didn't expect it. Luckily she didn't go far! So I just need to spend a lot of time with her. Long story short, here's my summer girl:
 
Over looking Pipestone Canyon near twisp😍   
A little sass on the trail...
 
So there's my update. Horse adventures to follow.

No comments: