Sunday, September 3, 2017

Second week as a wanderer



Is Connecticut considered New England? I should consult the google. Either way, it's beautiful. I took a drive today (sep 2) in hopes to walk on a beach in Fairfield. They wanted to charge me $50 to park for the "day" (it was already 6 pm and the parking lot was empty...). Outrageous! I'll come back in the fall when they let you come and go as you please. One of my least favorite parts of being on the east coast and being in a new place is parking. It's hard to find, it's expensive, and usually inconvenient to where I'm going. Not to mention hard to find again after I'm done with what I'm doing. I can handle driving in traffic, but parking sucks. I think that is why I haven't ventured to the city yet. I will either have to navigate parking there or find parking here at the Stamford train station. Both a pain. There are lovely small towns here, but they're too close to the big city to feel quite real. I'm looking forward to a trip up to Vermont. 
All that aside...
So after my failed beach attempt I drove north through some of the most beautiful neighborhoods I have ever seen. Seriously, every house looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine! And they have that older,  New England style, low rock walls and all. The trees are never ending and they are just starting to get red tips. Fall will be glorious!!
Sunday Sept 4
So this past week was hard. Work isn't bad at all, but the days off are kinda tough. Not what I expected. As I've mentioned, it is hard to get into a good rhythm with the whole night shift thing. It would be easier if all my work days were in a row each week, not scattered. So I find myself tired all day and laying awake at 3 am. So it's hard to have fun and be adventurous. So besides hiking, running, and working I find my time to be rather lonely and a little depressing (made worse by poor sleep).   I have learned that TV is not my friend. I don't have it at home so when I got here I was like a kid in a candy shop. I quickly realized that it's mindless and unintentional. I have turned to reading and blogging at night when I can't sleep. 
Having said all this,  I'm still glad I'm here. It's nice to have a new world to explore, no worries about yard work and home maintenance, etc. 
Though I sometimes take what I have in the church for granted, today I am so grateful for my membership there. I'm grateful that I can come to the other side of the continent and still find a warm, welcoming environment among people who share my values and beliefs. No matter how many places i visit or sights I see, nothing is better than the feeling of home that comes with being with good people. I made a few friends today and have plans to be adventurous with them. 
I also felt like I was seeing the gospel with new eyes today. With the commotion of leaving my home in Spokane, traveling across country, starting in a new place, and (let's face it) some distracted behavior before this... I wasn't as dedicated in the little things. This week when I needed the extra light, I realized I didn't have it. I hadn't really been doing my part. As I felt that need for strength beyond my own, I craved going to church. Reading the scriptures was refreshing, rather than an uncommitted chore. I found myself wanting a calling at church so I could serve more. Thankfully someone asked me to teach Sunday school in a few weeks 😅. And I definitely found a new love for the people around me. Chances are that I am the only one who will ever read this, but not sorry for the spiritual sappiness. 
Here are some hiking pictures from this week

Hudson valley



Missing my pup, but glad he's happy and in good hands. 



No comments: